For our Monthly Flavor we are featuring a popular Mexican antojito, a snack type of meal. Meet the sopes, made with a base of small corn flour tortillas, thicker with round edges. You can easily imagine a mini pizza in its place! Because of the pinched borders, all the toppings you choose will stay firmly contained on top.
Same as with tacos, the sope has spread throughout all Mexico’s territory, and there are now thousands of regional variants. Check-out the recipe below in order to learn how to make the tortilla. Be sure to keep an open imagination and your stomach ready, as the list of ingredients you could add may just be endless.
Ingredients to prepare enough dough for 10 Sopes:
- 1-1/2 cup of corn flour
- 1-1/4 cup of warm water
- Mix the corn flour and warm water in a medium-size bowl and knead until you have a uniform texture. The dough needs to be soft and manageable. It doesn’t have to be sticky, and sufficient moisture will avoid cracks on the surface.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces of the same size and cover them with a kitchen towel.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat.
- To form the sopes, use a crystal plate or dish to press down the dough. A tortilla press would work wonders for this.
- Start forming the border pinching the edges with your fingers.
- Heat oil or lard in at medium heat. Place the tortillas on the skillet and lightly fry them on both sides (about 30 seconds each side should bring the golden color).
- Remove and place on the plate with paper towel to remove excess fat.
Below we leave you a list of all the possible toppings you could throw on top of the tortilla to make your Monthly Flavor even more original:
- Refried black beans
- Finely shredded lettuce
- Shredded cooked beef or chicken
- Longaniza or pork sausage
- Crumbled Mexican cheese (Feta work too!)
- Finely chopped onion
- Mexican cream
- Thin sliced radishes
- Diced of sliced avocado
- Diced or sliced tomato
- Pickled jalapeños
- In Acapulco they top with seafood
- In Oaxaca roasted grasshoppers are also quite popular
For more recipes visit the Monthly Flavor section.
For more information of the Privilege Club visit our official website.